Civil Process

Sheriff’s Civil Process Unit
The Sheriff’s Civil Process Unit provides personal service of official court papers, summons and complaints, requests and court orders and Personal Protection Orders (PPO’s) to persons involved in civil litigation.  Other duties performed by the Sheriff’s Civil Process Unit include the facilitation and service of personal notices of mortgage foreclosures and the execution of evictions.

Office Mailing Address:
Antrim County Sheriff’s Office
P.O. Box 568
Bellaire, MI  49615
Phone:  231-533-3609
Fax:  231-533-5803

Frequently Asked Questions

Where do I go for a PPO?
The County Clerk’s Office, located in the County Building at 203 E. Cayuga Street, Bellaire, 231-533-6353.
Where/When/Time are the Mortgage Foreclosure sales held?
Fridays, 11:00 AM at the main entrance to the County Building, 203 E. Cayuga Street, Bellaire.
Where is the civil process office located?
107 Grove Street, Bellaire.
Where can I obtain a list of the Mortgage Foreclosure Sales?
Mortgage Foreclosures for Antrim County are listed in the Antrim Review.  Mortgage foreclosures and adjournments are also posted in the County Building.  Go to the main entrance located on Cayuga Street and turn to your left once you enter the building and they will be located on the wall. 
Who can I speak to regarding the foreclosure of my home and sale date?
Contact the law firm that is handling your foreclosure.
How Can I obtain a copy of my Antrim County Sheriff's Deed?
A copy of the Sheriff’s Deed is available at the Antrim County Register of Deeds Office at 203 Cayuga Street, Bellaire (231)533-6683.
What is the redemption period if my home is sold at the Sheriff's Mortgage Foreclosure Sale?
The redemption period is stated on the deed.  Contact the Antrim County Register of Deeds Office at (231)533-6683.
After the redemption period has passed, when do I have to move?
Contact the owner of the property, which is stated on the Sheriff’s Deed. 
Does the Antrim County Sheriff's Office handle the eviction?
How much did my house sale for?
The sale price is located on the Sheriff’s Deed.  The deed is available 21 days after the sale is held.  A copy of the Sheriff’s Deed can be obtained from the Register of Deeds Office at 203 Cayuga Street, Bellaire (231)533-6683.
Who should I contact if my home was sold for Foreclosure of Taxes and NOT for a mortgage foreclosure?
Contact the Antrim County Treasurer’s Office at (231)533-6720. 
How many attempts will the officer make to serve the papers?
Generally 4 attempts are made.
Will I receive documentation if the documents were served or not?
Proof of service will be mailed to you and if the officer(s) was unable to serve the papers, we will mail your paperwork back to you explaining why.
What is the cost to serve a subpoena?
$25.00 plus mileage.
How many attempts will the officer make to serve the subpoena?
Generally until served, but certain circumstances may apply.
What should I do if my PPO has been violated?
Contact your local police department and/or contact the Antrim County Clerk’s Office at (231)533-6353 to file a motion.
What are your office hours?

Typical office hours are Monday – Friday 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM, however our Civil Process Officers are all part-time and also cover court so please leave a message when you call 231-533-3609 if they are unavailable.  You may also come into the Antrim County Sheriff’s Administration to drop off papers for service.  We are open Monday – Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.  You may also fax your papers to be served to (231)533-5803 or mail them to:

Antrim County Sheriff’s Office
ATTN:  Civil Process Division
P.O. Box 568
Bellaire, MI 49615

Is there a fee for service?
Yes, the State of Michigan establishes the fee schedule.  In addition, there is a mileage fee of $.8475 per mile per each civil paper served. 
What are the service fees?
A copy of the fees for service can be obtained from the Civil Process Office at (231)533-3609.  You may also obtain this information from the State of Michigan website at:,-Fees,-Costs,-and Rates-aspx
What if I can't afford to pay for service?
There is only one exception for having to pay for service of process:  You must have an affidavit of indigence signed by the Chief Judge of the 86th District Court, and service on the other party is required by statue.