Economic Development Corporation
"Retain, expand, and promote County-wide economic growth and stability."
The EDC was organized with reference to Act 338 of the Public Acts of 1974. Its purposes are:
- To alleviate and prevent conditions of unemployment.
- To assist and retain local industries and commercial enterprises.
- To strengthen and revitalize the economy of the County of Antrim.
- To provide means and methods for the encouragement and assistance of industrial and commercial enterprises in locating, purchasing, constructing, reconstructing, modernizing, improving, maintaining, repairing, furnishing, equipping, and expanding in the County of Antrim.
- To encourage the location and expansion of commercial enterprises in the County of Antrim.
- To more conveniently provide needed services and facilities of the commercial enterprises in the County of Antrim and its residents.
The EDC is a nine-member board appointed by the Antrim County Board of Commissioners for a 6-year term, as outlined in the statute. The statute and the EDC's articles of incorporation and by-laws allow for a fairly broad range of authority to plan, finance, and implement projects to bring about the foregoing.
In 2022, the EDC will meet every third Tuesday of the month at 9:00 a.m. in the Board of Commissioners Room, Room 202 in the Antrim County Building. If you wish to be on the agenda, please contact the County Administration Office at (231)533-6265 at least one week in advance of the meeting.
In October of 2021, the EDC sanctioned a county-wide survey that would be used to guide the corporation's strategic planning process. Recipients of the survey included elected and appointed officials with each of Antrim County's 15 townships and five villages, as well as the five area chambers of commerce. The top priorities for communities were the protection & preservation of natural resources, maintaining rural character of cummunities, and providing housing opportunities. To address a growing need for broadband within rural communities, Antrim County has been working with the Northern Lakes Economic Alliance to create a shovel-ready broadband project. The results of the EDC survey can be found here and the 2022 Strategic Plan can be found here.
The EDC will be holding multiple community presentations entitled: "Business Connector Series: Connecting area small businesses and community resources". Northern Michigan's economic development is driven by small and medium size businesses. This series will feature around small business and economic development providers that offer services to Antrim County and will assist community leaders and business owners to navigate area business resources. The first presentation will take place on Tuesday, April 19 from 10:00 - 11:00 AM. Please see flyer for additional details.